markk

markk

Blood Brothers: The Story of the Strange Friendship between Sitting Bull and Buffalo Bill
Deanne Stillman
Martin Luther: His Road to Reformation 1483-1521
Martin Brecht
Progress: 236/543 pages

This is why we can't have nice things

The Jonah Kit - Ian Watson

To be honest, this was a difficult novel for me to like. Perhaps this was because of the underlying current of negativity throughout it. I felt that Watson was projecting some of the more developments of the 1970s forward in a way that was similar to what Wilson Tucker did in The Year of the Quiet Sun, conveying the sense that many felt that societal institutions were crumbling before the pressure of youth and the onslaught of new ideas. The ecological subtext added to the sense of this as a novel of its time, as it had something of a Jonathan Livingston Seagull vibe in places. The book's negativity might not have been as off-putting had it been balanced out by interesting characters, but the unappealing nature of pretty much all of them just added to the sense of pessimism that pervaded its pages. It's definitely worth reading, but it's not a book I would recommend for someone seeking to be entertained and distracted, as in the end there's little room for it between its covers.