markk

markk

Six Minutes in May: How Churchill Unexpectedly Became Prime Minister
Nicholas Shakespeare
The Industrialisation of Soviet Russia, Volume 1: The Socialist Offensive: The Collectivisation of Soviet Agriculture, 1929-1930
Robert William Davies
Young Wilhelm: The Kaiser's Early Life, 1859-1888
John C. G. Röhl
Progress: 229/1016 pages
Old Man's War - John Scalzi

I can't remember when it was that I first heard of this book, but I do know that I consciously avoided it for years before I decided to give it a try. The reason why I avoided it was the marketing: comparing a book to Starship Troopers may be an excellent way to get some readers to pick up a book, but I'm not among their number, as to me mention of Heinlein's novel (which, to be fair, I did recall enjoying when I read it decades ago) hearkens to its neo-fascist martial glorification more than anything else. When I finally did read Scalzi's book though, I was pleased to find that it was nothing like Heinlein's in that respect, but was instead a wry tale of an elderly human experiencing a new and dramatically different life as a solider among the stars. I was quickly hooked, and I soon consumed the other novels of the subsequent series. It really is a great read, and I can't recommend it highly enough for anyone who likes entertaining action-driven SF leavened with humor and some thoughtful ruminations about life.