markk

markk

The Paraguayan War, Volume 1: Causes and Early Conduct
Thomas L. Whigham
Progress: 192/520 pages

Enjoyment no matter which adventure you choose

Neil Patrick Harris: Choose Your Own Autobiography - Neil Patrick Harris

I can't recall the last time I read a book that was this much fun.

I've been interested in reading this book ever since I caught part of Neil Patrick Harris's interview with Terry Gross on "Fresh Air." It wasn't until I saw a copy at my library at work that the moment arrived for me to read it. It's a clever book on a number of different levels. The format emulates the "Choose Your Own Adventure" series from the 1980s, which not only proved entertainingly nostalgic for me but also gave some insight into one of Harris's own reading interests as a kid. He and his co-author pull it off well, taking his short sections (some no longer than a few paragraphs) and scattering them throughout the book. Each only provides a snapshot into his life, but together they do form a mosaic that reveals its subject.

Yet the format alone would have been a strained novelty but for Harris's own storytelling. He comes across as a humble and unassuming person who greatly appreciates the good fortune he has experienced in his life. Harris demonstrates an ability to laugh at himself, even when it comes to such serious matters as his career missteps and his gradual embrace of his sexuality. It makes for an enjoyable read that helps readers to appreciate the shape of his life and why he made the choices for it that he did.