markk

markk

The History of the British Coal Industry Volume 1 Before 1700
John Hatcher
Progress: 59/656 pages
The Draining of the Fens: Projectors, Popular Politics, and State Building in Early Modern England (Johns Hopkins Studies in the History of Technology)
Eric H. Ash
Progress: 264/416 pages
Martin Luther: His Road to Reformation 1483-1521
Martin Brecht
Progress: 236/543 pages

Interested in judging books?

Today I opened my e-mail to find a message from the Eric Hoffer Award Committee soliciting judges for next year's contest. The award is given to independently-published (essentially self-published) books, and this year they will have openings in a number of categories: Poetry, Culture, Fiction Legacy, Nonfiction Legacy, E-Book Fiction, and E-Book Nonfiction.

If you're interested, send your resume/CV and any relevant experience directly to Dawn Shows at info@hofferaward.com. I was a judge in the fiction category, and while I didn't think the overall quality of the books was that great (there are a lot of authors who can't get past the self-projection issue in their works) there were a couple that were pretty good and it's definitely an interesting experience (you even receive a small remuneration for it, which does allow you to buy better books afterward).