markk

markk

Six Minutes in May: How Churchill Unexpectedly Became Prime Minister
Nicholas Shakespeare
The Industrialisation of Soviet Russia, Volume 1: The Socialist Offensive: The Collectivisation of Soviet Agriculture, 1929-1930
Robert William Davies
Progress: 56/512 pages
The Pursuit of Power: Europe 1815-1914
Richard J. Evans
Progress: 219/928 pages
Young Wilhelm: The Kaiser's Early Life, 1859-1888
John C. G. Röhl
Progress: 229/1016 pages
My new year's resolution for 2017.
My new year's resolution for 2017.

Today my local YMCA had their annual book sale. It was my third year going; the first year I found a great copy of the first volume of Otto Pflanze's biography of Otto von Bismarck. The price? $2. Since then I look forward to going as an opportunity to find gems, though I suspect that was an outlier.

This year I found some neat stuff, most of which I will gift to my students. As I perused the boxes, though, I came across this copy of Don Quixote. Though it's one of those titles that I've long seen and heard referenced, I've never considered reading it. As I saw this Penguin paperback, however, I was seized by a sudden desire to buy it and read it, so I added it to my stack.

As any bibliophile knows, though, there's a difference between owning a book and reading it. So I've decided that reading Don Quixote is going to be my New Year's resolution. I haven't read a work of literature since Madame Bovary, so I'm overdue to dig into a classic and Don Quixote definitely fits the bill.