markk

markk

The Draining of the Fens: Projectors, Popular Politics, and State Building in Early Modern England (Johns Hopkins Studies in the History of Technology)
Eric H. Ash
Progress: 81/416 pages
Martin Luther: His Road to Reformation 1483-1521
Martin Brecht
Progress: 236/543 pages
Realistically I shouldn't, but . . .
Realistically I shouldn't, but . . .
Last week my school's library was running a book sale. They used to run it every year in December, but things were disrupted by a library reconstruction that seemed as though it would never end. When the great day arrived they were able to return to their new, far spiffier digs, and pull out the books they had accumulated over that time. Like most such sales, there was an eclectic collection of books going for low prices. For the first two days it was $2 for a hardcover, $1 for soft, and I picked up a few finds. For the final day it was "a buck a bag" time, so I swooped in and scooped up some bargains that I thought I might be able to resell in my excursions to local used bookstores. Among the books I grabbed during my second visit were these three volumes, which have been singing their siren call ever since. I've read excerpts from The Story of the Stone and it's a book that I know I would benefit from reading at some point (especially given that I'm likely to be teaching more Asian history in the future), but then that can be said for a lot fo books that I own. And therein lies my problem: my TBR list is so long that I just can't see myself getting to these three(!) volumes at any time that would justify adding them to my shelves that are just bursting with unread books. And yet they look so great. What's a bibliophile to do?