markk

markk

The Industrialisation of Soviet Russia, Volume 1: The Socialist Offensive: The Collectivisation of Soviet Agriculture, 1929-1930
Robert William Davies
Progress: 147/512 pages
The Pursuit of Power: Europe 1815-1914
Richard J. Evans
Progress: 219/928 pages
Young Wilhelm: The Kaiser's Early Life, 1859-1888
John C. G. Röhl
Progress: 229/1016 pages

I like big books and I cannot lie . . .

Yesterday I was with my son at one of our local Half Price Book stores and I found this little gem.

This is a book I have wanted ever since I first saw it. Which was when I laid eyes on it yesterday on the shelf at one of my local Half Price Book stores.

Part of my brain counseled reason. Why should I buy a nearly 1000-page book on the reign of Henry VI, it pointed out, when 1) I have so many other books to read, 2) I have so many other books specifically on 15th century England to read, and 3) I have no practical need to own this book as I never cover the subject to the degree where I would benefit from reading a nearly 1000-page book on the reign of Henry VI?

But then the rest of my brain went ZOMG IT'S A THOUSAND PAGE BOOK ON HENRY VI THAT I SOOOOOOOO WANT TO READ EVEN THOUGH I JUST LEARNED THAT IT EXISTS!!!!!

So now I have to find shelf space for this doorstopper. And I couldn't be happier.