From Cape Charles to Cape Fear: The North Atlantic Blockading Squadron during the Civil War
Robert M. Browning Jr.
Churchill's Secret War With Lenin: British and Commonwealth Military Intervention in the Russian Civil War, 1918-20
Damien Wright
Progress: 253/576 pages
Stalin: Volume I: Paradoxes of Power, 1878-1928
Stephen Kotkin
Progress: 49/912 pages

Giving up - for now

Martin Luther: His Road to Reformation 1483-1521 - Martin Brecht

Back in May I posted about my reading plans for the upcoming summer, which detailed an ambitious program consisting of books on composers, the Paraguayan War, and Martin Brecht's three-volume biography of Martin Luther. Reading it now results in no small feelings of embarrassment, as I read none of those books; instead my summer was spent mainly on books for my podcasts. The only one I even started was the first volume of Brecht's Luther biography, which I made good progress on in mid-July but then had to set aside because of podcasting deadlines. Nevertheless, I kept it on my "currently reading" shelf in the belief that I would find the time soon to resume it.

Today I admitted defeat and shelved the book indefinitely. It's frustrating, especially considering the anniversary and my longstanding intent to deepen my understanding of Luther and his ideas. But I have to accept the fact that, with 2,000 pages of reading awaiting me for this month alone I just won't be able to pick it up again anytime soon. It's only a postponement, though, as I will get back to it as some point.