From Cape Charles to Cape Fear: The North Atlantic Blockading Squadron during the Civil War
Robert M. Browning Jr.
Churchill's Secret War With Lenin: British and Commonwealth Military Intervention in the Russian Civil War, 1918-20
Damien Wright
Progress: 253/576 pages
Stalin: Volume I: Paradoxes of Power, 1878-1928
Stephen Kotkin
Progress: 49/912 pages

Reading progress update: I've read 115 out of 236 pages.

The Know Nothing Party In Massachusetts: The Rise And Fall Of A People's Movement - John R. Mulkern

In my eagerness to post my previous quote, I forgot this gem from page 72:

Veteran newspapermen likewise missed the [Know-Nothing] trend. Only scattered references to the new party appeared in the major newspapers during the first half of the year. In mid-August, the state's leading Whig newspaper, the Boston Daily Advertiser, finally took notice. The newspaper admitted that it did not have much information to go on, but it condemned the strange new party anyway for its secrecy and its "ridiculous gossip about guns, and poison, and massacre." Apparently, the secret order's chief purpose was to deprive "friendless servant girls and Irish lumpers" of their livelihood. A party so dedicated and so contrary to republican principles, the Advertiser assured its readers, could never win.

It seems that media condescension is also nothing new.