markk

markk

Thinking Wisely, Planning Boldly: The Higher Education and Training of Royal Navy Officers, 1919-39
Joseph Moretz
Progress: 141/528 pages
The Pursuit of Power: Europe 1815-1914
Richard J. Evans
Progress: 219/928 pages
Young Wilhelm: The Kaiser's Early Life, 1859-1888
John C. G. Röhl
Progress: 551/1016 pages

And down the rabbit hole I go (again)!

The Industrialisation of Soviet Russia, Volume 5: The Years of Hunger: Soviet Agriculture 1931-1933 - Robert W. Davies, Stephen G. Wheatcroft

Yesterday while I was browsing Amazon I came across this book. It's like it was almost designed to pique my interest; it's the final book in a multi-volume series that presents an exhaustive examination of its subject. So I contacted the publisher to see if they're interested in featuring it in a podcast, and I'm waiting to hear back from them.

Unfortunately, now that I know about it it's difficult to resist the temptation to acquire the earlier volumes before I know whether I will need to read the final one. With an Alibris coupon due to expire later tonight I decided to use it to start collecting the series by buying a copy of the fifth volume, which covers the economic aspects of the Great Famine. This I can rationalize by saying that I can stop with this volume — though I can guess where the betting money would be on whether I do.

Here's hoping that at least I get a free copy of the final volume!