markk

Ross Macdonald
Thomas Cromwell: A Revolutionary Life
Diarmaid MacCulloch

Branching out

Ross Macdonald: Four Novels of the 1950s: (Library of America #264) - Ross Macdonald, Tom Nolan

A couple of days ago I was working my way through my backlog of TLS issues when I came across Tyler Sage's review of the new Ross Macdonald collection of Lew Archer novels published by the Library of America. Until that moment I had no knowledge of either the author or the character, but reading Sage's description has me thinking that I should branch out.

The thing is that, for all of my time spent with books, I end up reading deeply in just a few categories. There's history and biography, and when I read fiction it's almost always science fiction with the occasional literary classic thrown in. When I branch out, such as I did last year by reading C. S. Forester's Hornblower novels, though, I usually find that I'm richer for the experience. Among the genres that I have yet to sample (aside from a few Sherlock Holmes stories) is mystery, though after reading Sage's review I feel inspired to give it a try.