markk

markk

The Revolution of ’28: Al Smith, American Progressivism, and the Coming of the New Deal
Robert Chiles

Mary Sue's derivative adventure

Time Shards - Dana Fredsti, David Fitzgerald

I came across this book while perusing the shelves at my local library. It was the title that caught my attention; the word "time" on any book shelved in the science fiction section will always attract my interest. After giving it a quick scan, I decided to give it a try.

Two hours later, I find myself wondering what better use I might have made of that time.

To be fair, Dana Fredsti and David Fitzgerald's book isn't the worst book that I've ever read. It is, however, incredibly derivative, tossing together elements from two or three different (and better) sci-fi novels and rushing the reader through with nonstop action in the hope that if the pacing is fast enough said reader won't ask too many questions. Given the dual authors, this is probably the first book I have ever read with a Mary Sue and a Gary Stu in it, the latter of which isn't well disguised by the clumsy red herring thrown into the narrative. The whole thing ends up feeling like a treatment for a movie made for the SyFy channel, with every plot point hitting its sadly predictable beat. The closer I got to the end, the more I found myself thinking, "Please don't be the first book in a series. Please don't be the first book in a series. please don't be the first book in a series."

Then I got to the end and, sure enough, it's the first book in a series.

Oh, well, at least it proved a quick read.