markk

markk

Edward the Confessor
Frank Barlow
Progress: 118/375 pages
For the Common Defense: A Military History of the United States from 1607 to 2012
William B. Feis, Peter Maslowski, Allan R. Millett
Progress: 181/736 pages
James Madison: A Biography
Ralph Louis Ketcham
Progress: 337/753 pages
Tales in Time: The Man Who Walked Home and Other Stories
Robert Silverberg, Harlan Ellison, Ray Bradbury, Lewis Padgett, Garry Douglas Kilworth, Peter Crowther, James Tiptree Jr., Charles de Lint, Spider Robinson, Jack Finney, L. Sprague de Camp, Brian W. Aldiss, H.G. Wells

Today's book haul

This week Half Price Books is running one of their regular sales. These usually involve sending out a series of coupons that escalate over the course of the week, from a modest 20% off the highest-priced item on the first day to 50% off at the end. These often provide an excellent opportunity for me to take a pass through the three branches in town and see if they have anything to offer.

This afternoon my son and I visited two of the three to see what was on offer. He left without purchasing anything; I, on the other hand, did not demonstrate as much restraint.

I was pretty happy with my finds. The Holmes biography is one that I used to own but sold a while back. I tried to read it decades ago but gave up and figured I would never read it; my impeding interview with White, however, made me regret my decision, so I was pleasantly surprised to come across a copy in good condition. The two history books are related to my latest long-term project; the Davey book was available for a song, while the Langford book was one I wasn't even aware existed. The novel was more of an indulgence: occasionally I come across mention of John Steakley as an underappreciated author and Armor as his best work. For a couple of bucks I figured I would give it a try.

But the prize was this gem:

Lavery's book is one that I've come across on occasion but didn't decide to read until recently. It's not exactly a scarce book, but to come across an unread copy when I have a 40% coupon in my hand made my day. Thanks to that and some other discounts, I acquired all of the books for less than $30, which for me constitutes a fine price for my haul.

Hopefully tomorrow is even more productive, as my son and I are heading down to Tucson for one of our occasional book shopping trips. With luck I might even come across a book that I sold down there a while ago and I'm hoping to reacquire again.