markk

markk

Edward the Confessor
Frank Barlow
Progress: 118/375 pages
For the Common Defense: A Military History of the United States from 1607 to 2012
William B. Feis, Peter Maslowski, Allan R. Millett
Progress: 181/736 pages
James Madison: A Biography
Ralph Louis Ketcham
Progress: 337/753 pages
Tales in Time: The Man Who Walked Home and Other Stories
Robert Silverberg, Harlan Ellison, Ray Bradbury, Lewis Padgett, Garry Douglas Kilworth, Peter Crowther, James Tiptree Jr., Charles de Lint, Spider Robinson, Jack Finney, L. Sprague de Camp, Brian W. Aldiss, H.G. Wells

Reading progress update: I've read 92 out of 640 pages.

Uncle Tom's Cabin or, Life Among the Lowly - Harriet Beecher Stowe, Ann  Douglas

A couple of days ago my colleague stopped by my office on his way back from teaching his class. In addition to his lecture notes he had a copy of Uncle Tom's Cabin in his hand, which he had brought to class so that he could read passages to his students. When I saw it I was inspired to read it, and he generously lent me his copy.

It was a fortuitous moment in so many ways. I reference Stowe's novel whenever I teach early U.S. history, and as I discuss it I think to myself that I really ought to read it for myself someday. The problem in the past has been that such moments occur at the point of my maximum interest, so by the time I'm free to read it my focus has shifted elsewhere. This time was different, however, as I'm still a few days away from discussing the early 1850s and with my final review obligation for the year wrapped up this morning there's never been a better time to undertake it. So far it's proving to be incredibly interesting, and I'm looking forward to seeing some of the themes in the book that I've read so much about.