markk

markk

Edward the Confessor
Frank Barlow
Progress: 118/375 pages
For the Common Defense: A Military History of the United States from 1607 to 2012
William B. Feis, Peter Maslowski, Allan R. Millett
Progress: 181/736 pages
James Madison: A Biography
Ralph Louis Ketcham
Progress: 337/753 pages
Tales in Time: The Man Who Walked Home and Other Stories
Robert Silverberg, Harlan Ellison, Ray Bradbury, Lewis Padgett, Garry Douglas Kilworth, Peter Crowther, James Tiptree Jr., Charles de Lint, Spider Robinson, Jack Finney, L. Sprague de Camp, Brian W. Aldiss, H.G. Wells

What I hate about "The Crown"

Season 3 of The Crown premiered on Netflix yesterday, and my wife and I watched the first two episodes last night. So far I'm enjoying it every bit as much as I did the first two seasons; the casting is as fantastic as before, and I especially enjoyed the contrast Peter Morgan made in the first episode between Britain's past great-power glories and their increasing impotence in the superpower era.

That being said, watching it leaves me with no small amount of annoyance with myself. Seeing the show's take on the 1960s reminds me that I have a bookcase full of titles about the period and the individuals in the show that I STILL. HAVEN'T. READ. From Oxford History surveys to biographies of Harold Wilson and that milk-snatcher Margaret Thatcher, there is plenty for me to read for my whetted appetite, yet I just don't seem to have the time anymore.

Given that I expressed a similar complaint during the second season, this suggests that I'm still not devoting the time I want to books that interest me the most. But it also indicates just how good the show is at highlighting my reading deficiencies. I would quit you, The Crown, if only you weren't so damn entertaining.