markk

markk

Edward the Confessor
Frank Barlow
Progress: 118/375 pages
For the Common Defense: A Military History of the United States from 1607 to 2012
William B. Feis, Peter Maslowski, Allan R. Millett
Progress: 181/736 pages
James Madison: A Biography
Ralph Louis Ketcham
Progress: 337/753 pages
Tales in Time: The Man Who Walked Home and Other Stories
Robert Silverberg, Harlan Ellison, Ray Bradbury, Lewis Padgett, Garry Douglas Kilworth, Peter Crowther, James Tiptree Jr., Charles de Lint, Spider Robinson, Jack Finney, L. Sprague de Camp, Brian W. Aldiss, H.G. Wells

I missed you people

— feeling happy

For the past four days one of the first things I did when I went online is check on the status of Booklikes. Encountering the 522 message on Saturday was annoying; by yesterday, I was growing concerned that it signaled the demise of the site. So to open up my browser today to find that Booklikes was back online brought a smile to my face. And it's all because of you.

I'm a little ashamed to admit this, but in so many ways I prefer Goodreads to this site. With its app and with its other features I find it to be so much more useful in terms of cataloguing and tracking my reading than Booklikes. Yet unless I'm doing some big librarian project I spend much more time here than I do there.

Why is that? It's because of you people.

It took me losing access to the site to realize this, but I enjoy Booklikes so much more because of the community. While I have more "friends" on GR, the site is almost designed to discourage interactions. And this is what I have come to enjoy so much about Booklikes: reading your posts, spending time to articulate my thoughts into one, and getting your thoughts on what I wrote. And in the end, that's not me, that's you.

So wanted to say that I missed you, and I'm glad the site's back and you're back. Now please post something so that I can like it, otherwise I'll have to fill the space with more stuff like this.

Oh, yeah, and that bug that's preventing reading dates from being recorded? It's still there. So much for the hope that all of this was about fixing that problem.