markk

markk

The Industrialisation of Soviet Russia, Volume 1: The Socialist Offensive: The Collectivisation of Soviet Agriculture, 1929-1930
Robert William Davies
John C. G. Röhl
Progress: 229/1016 pages

Funny and surprisingly wise

Bossypants - Tina Fey

So last week I embarked upon my cruise a little worried (unnecessarily as it turned out) that I might burn through all 1,400 pages of reading material that I had brought with me. Because of this, I decided to stop at the ship's cafe where they kept a small collection of titles left behind by other passengers (something i had done myself once before, and which I had planned to do but for the delay in receiving the book I had ordered to bring along). Three titles stood out; the one that looked the most appealing was Tina Fey's 2011 memoir, so I decided to give it a try.

Her book proved the perfect read for the trip. It was every bit as funny as I expected from a comedic writer of her caliber (30 Rock is easily one of the best sitcoms of the new millennium), and its lightness was ideal for my mood. What I hadn't expected, though, was the vein of wisdom running through the book. Not only does Fey provide a humorous look at her life, but along the way she made observations and drew lessons subtly from it that I found very perceptive. The contrast here for me was with Amy Poehler's Yes, Please which I recall being funnier but less coherent as an account of her life. Fortunately, we live in a world where I can read and enjoy both books for what they have to offer.

Oh, and I should add that this is another excellent reason why I'm glad I don't have an e-reader, as not having one led me to seek out and read a book that I might not have otherwise picked up. Yet another way that print books make me a richer person!